1.8 Diesel Engine – 4 cylinder 1753cc OHC
1. Follow workshop manual procedures to remove the timing belt covers. Remove the threaded plug for the crankshaft timing pin from the cylinder block and turn the engine until the slot in the injection pump pulley is at about 11 o’clock.
2. Screw the T.D.C. Setting Pin into the cylinder block and turn the crankshaft until it rests against the setting pin at T.D.C. The drilling in the (CAV) injection pump flange, or the recess (Bosch), should be aligned with the drilling in the pump housing. If the timing belt is to be re-used, mark the direction of rotation with chalk to ensure correct re-fitting. Release the belt tensioner to remove the camshaft toothed belt. DO NOT REMOVE THE INJECTION PUMP TOOTHED BELT UNLESS NECESSARY, AS THE SPECIFIED TENSIONING PROCEDURE ONLY APPLIES TO NEW BELTS.
3. Bosch pump – use pin ‘B’ to time the injection pump sprocket and pin ‘D’ to time the camshaft sprocket. CAV pump – use pin ‘E’ to time the injection pump sprocket and pin ‘D’ to time the camshaft sprocket.
4. Ensuring that the crankshaft is still in contact with the T.D.C. Setting Pin, fit the new injection pump toothed belt and/or the camshaft toothed belt. Ensure direction arrows point the correct way. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL FOR DETAILED BELT FITTING AND TENSIONING PROCEDURES.
5. Remove all pins, and turn engine over twice by hand to complete a full cycle. Re-gain T.D.C. position and re-check alignment by inserting the appropriate pins. If the pins do not all fit correctly repeat step 4 before proceeding. Remove all pins and turn engine over twice by hand to complete a full cycle to ensure that there is no obstruction.
6. Replace threaded plug in the cylinder block and follow workshop manual procedures to re-fit timing belt covers, etc.