This is a weird one. Our AEG Lavatherm tumble dryer has a lint filter in the door and one in the base of the door opening. My wife decided to clean the fluff from the one in the door opening, removed it and put the hoover nozzle down the hole. Now the dryer switches on (power light comes on) but when you press the start button you just hear the motor hum and the drum won't turn.
I've looked down the hole where she hoovered and it seems to just be a plastic channel to the bottom of the front of the machine, where it goes into a larger hole which presumably runs to the back of the machine where the vent fan must be.
Haven't had a chance to take the top or sides off yet to see if there are belt or capacitor problems but it seems a big coincidence that it stopped working when she used the hoover on it! Is it likely that there could have been something in that vent channel that could have been loose enough to get sucked into the hoover (I will check the dustbag) or that has been pulled the wrong way due to the airflow being the opposite to how it should have been? And if so is it anything that might cause the drum to stop turning?
The machine is 5 years old now and has been used almost daily so it's done us proud and is probably due for replacement soon but I wouldn't mind extending it's life for a while longer if I can do it fairly easily/cheaply.
Don't have the exact model number here at work but the latest version of it looks like the T35850.
Any bright ideas would be welcomed.
In case anyone's interested, I found the problem and fixed it.
I took the lid off and had a go at pushing the drum with the machine turned on, but it was very stiff, didn't want to turn at all. So I decided to look inside the air venting system because that's where the hoovering was being done.
A piece of the hoover nozzle had managed to fall off and drop into the air suction chamber. When the machine was turned on next, it got sucked into the vent fan and jammed it. Because the fan is on the same axle as the drum motor this meant the motor couldn't turn at all which explains why the drum was so stiff.
I managed to open up the chamber where the fan lives and the offending piece dropped out. Had to take most of the machine apart though it seems to have gone back together quite happily and seems to work properly again now.
Not the most usual fault for a tumble dryer but might help someone else who finds themselves in the same situation.
Thanks to the people who post answers on this board, at least it helped me to narrow down what the problem *wasn't*.